Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Problem with...

WARNING: Don't read if you get frustrated at religious mockery. 

Its been more than a few times recently that people have approached me with the same question.Its becoming so monotonous that I quickly give the same reply whenever I see someone walk up to me, even if they just wanted to say "Hi".

"What is your problem with God?"

You fail to understand me. I don't have a problem with god. I am not a non-believer. My problem lies solely with religion, and the stuff I am expected to in the name of god. Rather, the stuff I have to do so that I can "please" god. If you knew me well enough, and knew that I didn't care so much about you, you'd realise that I don't care if I'm not pleasing you. I definitely don't care so much about god.

Also, its not just Hinduism as many of you seem to think. Im against ALL religions. Also don't tell me that I don't understand. I understand well enough to say that its all rubbish. I REFUSE to wake up early on sundays, overdress and apologize for being human. I refuse to watch people empty packets of milk and what-not on a block of stone knowing that there are literally millions dying in Africa because they don't have milk. I refuse to fast for one whole day because "god wants me to".  I refuse to go to the 'abode of the lord' and hear people tell me that god is everywhere and in anything, and it wouldn't make a difference to god if prayed to my toilet seat.

This almost always gets me a response of "You don't understand. I can't explain. You'll understand when you get older." Believe me, I've understood and I still find it ridiculous.

Some other people ask me "Have you even read the bible?! Have you read the New Testament?"

Heres my answer: I have read some of the bible, but frankly I've read better. The plot was pretty lame, and the writing was all over the place.

Still, I guess the writing techniques weren't very sophisticated 2k years ago, and it's been translated and whatnot so many times the original story has likely been twisted so much it doesn't even resemble the first print run.

However, to answer your question, I don't have to read a storybook(Bible, whatever) to mock religion. The whole concept is what I consider ridiculous. 

That being said, people would call me agnostic, because I say there has to be some ruling power above us(though that sounds ridiculous too), but I detatch myself from all the Mumbo-Jumbo.
People also seem to assume that I am against religious people. NO. I'm against religion, and the fact that someone believes in something I don't doesn't make me hate them. Hell, MY PARENTS are religious. Most of the religious people I know are the nicest people I've ever met. So, let me make my last statement here.

I would pray to god, but ONLY if there's nothing else I can do. I've always believed that 10 hands at work are better than a 100 at prayer.

All this, quite frustratingly, could have been summed up in 4 words --> Im Spiritual, not Religious.

Also, this will (hopefully) be my last post on this subject. I tried myself to stop posting this, but I just couldn't.


 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow.. that was simply brilliant........ and Also, totally blunt (:D) .. to your thoughts *AGREED*
Your best post yet i think :)

Vishal said...

Wrote it in 5 minutes without any editing.. obviously was blunt :P

Unknown said...

My understanding of Religion :

Vishal, I feel the problem doesn't lie with Hinduism, Jainism, Islam or Christianity. The problem is with Hindus, Jains, Muslims and Christians.

After going through 'holy' books my grandpa has, I've found out that the binding factor of all religions is that they preach 'Karma'.

And now whether or not I believe in a religion, I'm a true believer in karma. You get what you give, whether it's bad or good.

So basically, I also condemn the fact that temples and religious organizations are becoming powerhouse which completely contradict the true meaning of religion. They fool people into believeing people that god will do great if you pray. Thats bullshit. They're the 'Hindus, Jains, Christians and muslims' who are misleading society.

God will go good to you only if you deserve, not by praying. :)

Vishal said...

Hey Akshat, and I'm sorry for this really late response.

While I disagree with "Karma", I really do think that its good that religions preach it, because some people just have to be motivated to be good. And hell, the concept of karma works, so no problems with that.

God won't do good for you either because of your devotion or even if you 'deserve good', simply because he doesn't exist. If you believe that you deserve good things, you will go out there and get it.

Unknown said...

Well, I have changed my views of god after months of thinking & research :)

I do believe in spirituality, Karma, liberation, Jainism etc but not in the existence of a creature called God :)

Jayashree Satish Rao said...

It doesnt matter what you believe or don't believe in, as long as you remain on the right 'path'. :-)
But here's a q: where do you turn to when you need to get over a failure or disappointment?
Also spiritual involves accepting the existence of a higher power right? Correct me if I'm wrong :-)
Frankly i don't know what my status is.
Because I turn to God sporadically, but yet Im not religious as such either....

Unknown said...

^ To your question, not always is it necessary to turn to a higher power to be spiritual.

Some religions say that its necessary to believe in a supreme being called God who controls Humanity if one wants to attain spirituality whilst there are some like Buddhism & Jainism which have gone to deny the existence of a supreme being called God itself. They believe more in a concept called Karma for attaining spirituality.

Vishal said...

I definitely don't turn to god when I'm disappointed with something, if that answers your question.